We all tell ourselves stories - things that we're good at, things that we're not, why we are or are not, etc, etc. Some of these stores can actually change who we are.
For years, ever since I went to college, I have been telling people that I wasn't very good at piano - basically I can do classical stuff and that's about it. When I got my piano, I finally went through my piano music (which I've been carting around for about 10 years - ever since my parents sold the piano at their house). OMG. I just took a snapshot of 1 page of a 4 page piece that I played for a recital. I can't even read that now.
I'm sad that I stopped playing for such a long time. Its always been a release for me, and something that I enjoyed.
Other stories that I've told myself are that I'm a slow runner - and guess what, right now I am, and I don't ever seem to be getting faster! Maybe I need to work on what I'm allowing myself to be. Growing up, I was told that I constantly needed to be careful not to get fat. It became a self-fulfilling prophecy. A very smart woman that I know was told that she wasn't a good cook - and therefor stopped cooking - even though she was a perfectly good cook, but her son was making fun of her for religiously following recipes instead of making it up as she went.
The stories we tell ourselves and tell others can take on lives of their own. I'm hoping to start telling myself different stories to help me be the person I wan to be! I hope that you think about the stories that you tell yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment