Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cook Park (Half) Marathon

Saturday was the first day of back-to-back marathons scheduled by the same race director, who also happens to be a running friend.  He created a loop course - each loop was approximately 3.28 miles, so 4 loops for the half and 8 for the full.

When I got there, a bunch of people were already getting ready.  Picked up my bag with my t-shirt for the race and a t-shirt for the double, since I had signed up for both. Very quickly found two friends - Maureen, who I had just done the Backyard Half with, and Travis, who I've done lots of races with (most of which I haven't gotten around to writing up yet)!


Doing races with people you know is a lot of fun!  It makes me a bit disorganized, too, though, since I'm not totally focusing on me. I did the first two laps without any food and entirely forgot my sunglasses.  Oh well!

Travis, Maureen and I ran the 1st lap together.  This ended up being my fastest lap by far.  I sent them on ahead while I made a bathroom stop (this is now the 3rd race in a row where I've had to do that - never had to in the past!).  I was kind of relieved to send them on because they're both a bit faster than me, and I was already starting to feel it.  But the lap went by quickly chatting and catching up and cheering for everyone.  That's one of the best parts of a looped course - which in this case included 2 out and backs - you get to see the leaders and the people bringing up the rear and cheer for everyone!

My 2nd lap was much slower.  I got to see Margaret during this lap (the half marathoners started 30 min after the full marathoners), and walked with her for a bit, which was nice.  She was doing her 5th half marathon.  I did manage to stick with a 2:1 or 1:1 for most of this lap, though.  Coming back around to the beginning, I remembered to pick up my energy chews (thank goodness!), but forgot to refill my water bottle.  Headed out for my 3rd lap, and "it" really started to get to me.  I wasn't feeling well, was yawning pretty constantly, and just didn't have the motivation at all.  Due to a potential health condition, I decided that today was not the day to push myself.  I finished the 3rd lap, refilled my water bottle, and headed out for the 4th lap, telling my friends who were volunteering that this would be my last lap.

I was never so happy to finish up a lap!  The 4th lap was tough - I just wasn't feeling it - my legs were lead, I was tired, and I thought that I might throw up.  But, I finished (breakfast intact).  I knew that I made the right decision when I had absolutely NO REGRETS about stopping after the half (well, I do feel bad about abandoning Maureen on the course, but I think that she understood).  I hung out, helped with the aid station, put stars on people (the race was not "chip" timed, so to make sure that everyone's lap was accounted for, a volunteer put a star sticker each lap on people's bibs), and cheered for everyone. Got to catch up with Rose and; Jill who were both awesomely out there volunteering, see Margaret finish and then see Maureen finish her 2nd marathon in a week to become a marathon maniac (#5650 in fact).  So fun!

The course was really beautiful.  Mostly paved path that wound among wetlands and along the Tualatin River. The first lap I enjoyed boring Maureen and Travis with the common and scientific names of lots of the plants - pointing out stinging nettle along with the prettier ones. I don't remember seeing much wildlife - a few ducks in the river, a small garter snake, etc but I can imagine that early in the morning it must be amazing.


View Larger Map

Based on how I felt doing the Cook Park Half marathon, and how tired I was the rest of the day, I decided that doing the Stars and Stripes marathon on Sunday would not be a good idea.  Even if I was just fighting a cold, my body was crying for rest.

I'm disappointed that I "only" did a half marathon on Saturday and that I didn't run at all on Sunday, but I also know that I made a good decision.  And I have this awesome shirt and homemade medal to remember a very very fun race:


1 comment:

  1. You didn't abandon me!!! You were there cheering each time I finished a lap! I had a great time running with you and I think you made the right decision. Oh and I laughed so hard reading about how you "bored" us with your extensive native species knowledge. I was pretty darn impressed.

    ReplyDelete