Sunday, July 1, 2012

Like Clockwork

My husband has an amazing talent.  Unfortunately, its not very useful - and in fact can be quite a problem.  He gets hurt almost on a set schedule.

Wednesday around lunchtime I got a call from him that went like this:
JD: Hey - are you interested in coming home for lunch?
Me: Um, no (I never go home for lunch)
JD: Well, would you today so you can tell me if I need stitches?
Me: What?  I'll be there in 20 min.

Turns out that while working to replace an electrical outlet that is right under the circuit panel, he had the circuit panel door open to determine which circuit the outlet was on, forgot about that, and stood straight up into the sharp metal door.  When I came home, it looked like he was trying to dress up as Redbeard, but had only gotten half his face.

We determined that yes, he did need stitches, as the cut was over an inch long.  Luckily a good friend of ours is a PA at the hospital, so we called him and were able to get scheduled in instead of going to the ER and waiting.  6 staples later (yes, he stapled my husband's head!), we were back to my office, where I made him hang out the rest of the day while I worked. (and I'm guessing that you all do not want to see the picture - but I'll see if I can find a way to make a link to it in case you're interested)

Now, this would seem to be an ordinary accident, except for the fact that we were all counting down the days until he got hurt again. Almost 1 year ago - July 9th to be exact - he ended up with a cracked patella and 15 stitches in his knee from a mountain bike accident (this wasn't necessarily a bad thing as he was now unable to mountain bike, etc & instead had to focus on his studies).  1 year before that, he broke and dislocated his shoulder mountain biking. 9 months before that, he tried to chop two of his fingers off with a chop saw, and 9 months before that, he had shattered his ankle in the Grand Canyon.  We're all relieved that he's now managed to stretch it out to a year instead of 9 months, but still.

Luckily this accident hasn't set him back too much - he even was able to go for a mountain bike ride on Saturday.  But we're both hoping that this is his only injury for this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment