Saturday, October 20, 2012

Updates

I'm going to try and be better about posting (how many times have I said that before??) :)

Anyways, September & October were full of lots of big news.  Near the end of September, JD's Mom came out for a visit. We went apple picking in Hood River:

It was a beautiful day, but picking apples doesn't take long - we got $40 of Honey Crisp apples in about 10 minutes!  Afterwards we had a good meal at Full Sail Brewery (although gluten-free options were really minimal), and then decided to go help JD get some new suits for med school interviews. Very glad that we had JD's mom to help us with it all!  The store was having a special - buy 1 suit, get 2 free, so now JD has 3 suits. Don't really know what he's going to do with that many, but he'll look good!

On the last day of JD's Mom's visit, I had exploratory surgery (laparoscopic) to see if my Dr could find something causing our infertility. All we wanted was an answer - even if it wasn't fixable, at least we'd know and could start looking at other options.  Thank goodness the doctor found something that he could fix!  I had moderate (ratings are minimal, mild, moderate & severe) endometriosis!  I was basically asymptotic, so this was a big surprise, but explained a lot.  The doctor used a laser to basically get rid of it all.  We were told to wait a cycle, and then we're back in the game!

Additionally, JD got his first med school interview at the University of Florida. He's really hard on himself, so was *sure* that he had blown it (He's like those kids in college who whined after every exam how they bombed it and failed and were destined to never get a job - and then get the highest score in the class...).  Med schools can't tell applicants if they're accepted until Oct 15, so after his 10/5 interview we had 10(+) days of waiting. We had been told that it was a really good sign that they interviewed him so early in the process, etc, but JD was a nervous mess.  UGH.

Our visit to UF was really good. We walked about 6 miles around campus on Thursday (which included seeing a real live alligator!), met up with a student and his wife who we were staying with for the night for a great dinner out (the restaurant even had something like 10 gluten free beers!), and then got ready for Friday.  Friday JD got himself all dressed up, and we headed in to campus.
Med school interviews are basically all-day affairs. Breakfast, dog & pony show, tour, interviews.  So while JD was occupied, I walked around the UF campus to find reliable wireless to get some work done. I ended up walking almost 7 miles on Friday!  Because they had a big football game on Saturday, there were lots of visitors on campus, so the wireless on the main campus (which was much prettier than the med school area) was pretty spotty. I ended up walking back and forth 3 times I think. Because this was Florida, I was wearing cheap flip-flops, and ended up with a big blister and sore foot from compensating for the blister, but it was worth it.

The rest of our trip was great, and I'll write a bit more about it later - visits to both of JD's parents and a trip up to MD to see my family and see one of my cousins get married.

After we got back home, it was waiting time - JD's waiting to hear back from the rest of schools that he applied to for interviews, and of course we were both waiting to hear if he was accepted.  October 15 came, and JD was pretending to be an ostrich (head in the sand pretending nothing was happening around him). I couldn't stand it any longer and checked his mail on his phone before I left for work.  WOOHOO!  He was accepted!  In 8 years of so I will finally meet my parents' hope that I would be married to a doctor!  At this point, we're still waiting to hear from the other schools, but UF would not be a bad place to be at all.  Their philosophy lines up with JD's (make doctors who are good people), and I of course love the sun and heat.  But we'll see - there's still a long time before next August.

1 comment: