1st week home
He's obviously grown a lot since he was born - we estimate that he's about 10 pounds now, and he just barely fits in newborn clothes still. I'm trying to get every last use out of the newborn sized clothes that he has, partly because it makes me sad that soon he won't be able to wear them, and there are some cute ones!
Wyeth in one of the newborn size onesies
Our first week home, my parents came down from Maryland to help out since JD had to go right back to school and I was recovering from the C-section. It was so great to have them here to drive me to appointments, cook, clean, and keep me company. I even was able to get an extra hour of a nap because Mom rocked Wyeth. So very thankful for their help!
Mom (aka Nana) with Wyeth
My parents left on a Friday, and that Saturday, JD's Mom came down to meet Wyeth and bring us some food. It is so nice having her so close (just 2 hours away in Jacksonville)!
(I put that same onesie on Wyeth yesterday, and it was stretched completely tight)
Once my parents left, our friends, including some of JD's classmates, stepped up to bring us dinners, which helped SOOOO much while we were getting used to our new routines! Friends from Oregon also gave us gift cards so that we could order in dinner (on a side note, one of the best things about living in a college town is that you can get almost anything that you want delivered!). We are so grateful for everyone who helped us out - we're working on thank yous right now!
We had a cold snap here, and I had to go out and buy Wyeth a few warm newborn sized clothes. The fleece dino outfit above is one of them. Its adorable, but he's almost out of it, too!
Practicing tummy time, and his first day in the gDiapers once he was finally big enough to fit in them! Now they're almost too small.
I'd say that the 2nd week home was probably the hardest. Wyeth was going through a growth spurt, and ALL he wanted to do was eat. Plus, he had his days and nights reversed, so he was inconsolable at night while all I wanted to do was sleep. It got better, and he stopped nursing constantly. Luckily, he has a good latch and I have plenty of milk, so after working out a few kinks the first week, breastfeeding has been going smoothly. The biggest challenge the first week, besides the sudden engorgement, was that I have scar tissue from two surgeries (removal of benign tumors) under my left nipple, which made it harder for him to get milk from that breast. As he got stronger, it became less and less of a problem, and now neither of us notice a difference between sides.
Going for a walk.
The weekend before Thanksgiving, JD has his White Coat ceremony (the first years are given their white medical coats, prior to when they first see patients). Julie came down to meet Wyeth and help me out with the ceremony, which was fantastic! Wyeth was actually amazingly well behaved for the ceremony - I nursed him twice during it, which put him to sleep, Julie held him while JD was getting his coat so that I could get pictures, and then JD held him afterwards for pictures with family. Both JD's Mom and Dad came down for the ceremony, which was really nice!
Aunt Julie with Wyeth. It was a cool weekend - hence the warm fuzzy blanket!
We are starting to settle into a routine, although Wyeth seems to have just gone through his 2nd growth spurt (nursing constantly). JD is also basically done with classes for the term - he will be shadowing a local doctor for the next two weeks (required for school), and then has about 2 weeks off for winter break. It will be nice to have an extra set of hands around to help with the day-to-day stuff like dishes, laundry, cleaning, diapers. Because this has been an easy week for JD, and because Wyeth was being challenging the other day, we watched a movie, and Wyeth fell asleep on JD. They're both little heaters, so they were both sweaty by the end of the movie!
So sweet!
My family will be back down the day after Christmas to celebrate with us. JD and I have almost never celebrated on the 25th because I'm usually back in Maryland, so we have to figure out what we want to do! We did get our "Christmas tree" the other day, but that will be a surprise. Our apartment complex has two apartments that can be rented on a nightly basis, so my family will be staying in one of them while they're here. It makes is so very convenient, and I think that my parents will be amazed at how big and strong Wyeth has gotten!
Look how strong he's getting!
We also had a professional photo shoot done with Wyeth was just 2 weeks old. The photos are adorable! I'll post some later, but here's a link to the photographer's blog with the pictures: http://www.julieryanphotography.com/2013/11/25/welcome-wyeth/
Finally, here's the photo that I took on Monday 12/2 - when Wyeth was 1 month old! Where does the time go?
The bear was a gift from our neighbors in Oregon, and the onesie says "Pants are Overrated" and was a gift from a running friend in Oregon. The quilt is my own creation :)









Ahhh his pucker lips are so cute. I loved the photos!!
ReplyDelete